Your Questions Answered

Does my horse need travel boots or bandages?

In our experience of travelling horses and ponies, we find they are far more comfortable to travel with nothing on. Boots and bandages create heat and reduce circulation and can be an irritant to the horse. If you do wish to protect your horse's legs then make sure they are accustomed to wearing travel boots. A tail bandage is advisable to stop the tail rubbing on the back wall, a lot of horses when travelling lean on their sides or buttocks.

Are they legal transporters?

Any vehicles over 3.5 tonnes gross plated weight must be on an operators licence. If the lorries are transporting for journeys up to 8hrs a type 1 authorisation certificate is required and if the journey is over 8hrs a type 2 authorisation certificate by DEFRA has to be awarded. Drivers and grooms must hold a Certificate in Equine Transport for journeys up to 8hrs or an Advanced Certificate for journeys over 8hrs.

How often will my horse/pony be watered?

We stop every 3 to 4 hours to check, water and give forage to the horses.

What happens if my horse/pony becomes ill or injuried?

We carry a basic veterinary kit on board the horseboxes to deal with minor injuries and illness. If the situation is more serious then a vet would be contacted as well as the horses owner to keep them up to date with their horse's condition. The horse's owner is liable to cover the extra costs of the vet's services.